zondag 22 december 2013

Work in Progress: Homeward Bound Mini-Quilt (one block)


I decided to have a go at paper-piecing one homeward bound block. I really like the graphic qualities of this block, but the fact that just one block has 73 pieces has been putting me off making a quilt which needs at least nine blocks. 9 x 73 = a lot of pieces and lots of work! And since I hardly find time to sleep, where would I find the time to start a project like that, let alone finish it. But there is something to be said for taking it one small step at the time, so I committed myself to making one homeward bound block, just to get a feel for the proportions.

This is as far as I got piecing on the paper foundations.

So far it's been easy going. I am following this very precise tutorial, and am enjoying the process. Because it's paper piecing, my measuring doesn't have to be perfect, as long as I manage to sew straight lines on the lines drawn on the paper, the end product looks perfect, with the points of the flying geese aligning perfectly. I'm sold!

And this gives you an impression of what the finished block will look like.

I'm pretty sure I feel a king size quilt coming, in this pattern. Now  if only I could find some time (maybe when the baby is a bit older...) He's keeping me up late every night now, and then waking me up once or twice during the night, too. I'm finding it especially exasperating at the moment, because in two weeks time I have to go back to work. I'm not sure how (if) I'll manage to juggle the household tasks, my job and the baby, let alone find some time to do this creative stuff I need so badly to feel like myself. I've found in the past, that if I tell myself that it's just for a while, that I can do without creative stuff for a few months, I just become miserable and snappy. And that's no good for anybody. So I just have to find a way to fit this important part of my life in with the other important bits. Not easy, but I'll find a way!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten